Friday, June 29, 2012

Savory Zucchini Cakes


Happy Friday!  I hope you have enjoyed our series on zucchini so far.  As I was looking through my family cookbook for one last recipe for zucchini week, I came across this one I had forgotten about.  One year we had so many zucchini from our garden I needed a new way to use them up. I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website.  I love Taste of Home.  It is my go-to site when I need new recipe ideas. 

These cakes are a savory spin on the classic crab cake.  I whipped up a batch to make sure they were blog-worthy and I found that something was missing. I couldn't place if it was the seasoning or the texture.  I finally decided it was a little of both.  I wanted more crispiness and it just wasn't savory enough.

One word came to mind. Butter. Butter fixes everything.  That is what Julia Child always said and who is going to argue with Julia Child?  Yes, it makes it a tad less healthy but a little butter doesn't hurt once in a while, right?  Try this one out. It is quick, simple, and a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies.  They make a great appetizer or side dish. Eat them alone, or with your favorite dip.

Savory Zucchini Cakes

2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard 
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp butter 

In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Stir in eggs until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Shape into patties. In a large non-stick skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Cook patties in batches on each side 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.  


And there you have it.  A few of my favorite ways to use up your garden zucchini.  I hope you enjoy the recipes. I had fun with this series. My family was certainly happy they were able to eat all the fruit of my labor!   

What are your favorite zucchini recipes?



To see what I use to clean up after all this cooking, click HERE.

Join the fun on Facebook!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...