Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Favorite Things: Baby Edition

Maise Alice
 
I can't believe it, but I have actually begun to plan Maise's 1st birthday party.  I mean, is it here already?  It seems just like yesterday she was born. Time certainly moves a lot faster with the second baby.  
Anyway, as I make plans for the big Happy-Birthday-Maise-We-Survived-Another-One bash, I also am gathering lots of baby stuff to send on to other mommies who could use them because we will no longer need them (sniff sniff).  Through it all, I can't help but reflect on all the things we depended on to make it through both our baby's first years. We certainly have it a lot easier than other generations.


So, I thought I would share a few of my favorite things that, for us, were essential in making it through.  If you are having a baby, or know someone who is having one, consider the items below.  All make great baby gifts!


SwaddleMe blankets - These things were awesome. In those early days after baby comes home, you have plenty to worry about.  These took a lot of the worry about suffocation and SIDS off our minds and helped keep both the girls cozy, happy and secure. They are super easy to work with, and they can't break out of them like they do with plain old receiving blankets.  Make sure to get a few of them because babies are messy!

Itz-Been - This little gadget makes an awesome gift especially for the breastfeeding mother. Even though I couldn't breast feed like I planned, this sucker was a sanity saver in those early days when you are so sleep deprived you couldn't remember your own name, let alone the last time the baby was fed. This thing give you the time between feedings, diaper changes, naps, and meds. Plus, if you are breast feeding, it has a switch that lets you know which side you used last feeding.
This Book - Hands down, this little book is a must for the new parent. I kid you not, during those awful colic months, the strategies in this book were the cure. As soon as we applied them, it was like a switch was flipped. Luckily, Maise didn't have as much trouble as Mia did, but I remember after a couple of weeks of poor Mia's wails and our stress increasing by the day, we couldn't get this book fast enough. As soon as it came in the mail, we ripped it open and, while Mia wailed, Gabe quickly skimmed though the book and read all the important stuff. We followed each step and within minutes we found instant relief. GET THIS BOOK for anyone having a baby. Trust me. They will love you forever.  
Baby Bjorn - This thing was probably the most used item with both the babies. Whenever they get fussy we would carry them around in it, sometimes for an hour or more and they loved it.  In fact, both girls used it until they were so heavy we thought it would break.  And now, with Maise being so....well....girthy, we can't even get it closed. Otherwise we would still be using it.  It is definitely a great investment.





Halo SleepSacks - once the girls outgrew their swaddle blankets around 3 months, I still didn't feel comfortable using loose blankets. These are the perfect solution. They provide the warmth of the blanket, without the worry of suffocation. I never have to worry about it coming loose and inadvertently getting around their face. The fleece one is plenty warm enough on a cold night and the organic cotton ones are nice and cool for the hot days.  They are a little pricey, but definitely worth the money for the peace of mind. However, I recently found some for 13.00 each at TJ Maxx. So look around and you might find great deals.  Regardless, these are a MUST!  The sizes grow with the kids well into toddler-hood and come in organic options as well.


Teether -  This is something new I found in the last year for Maise.  I was looking for something she could chew on the would also help clean her gums.  These were perfect.  The reviews were awesome and I gave them a try.  Maise loves them.  She will chew on them hours. Easy to clean too which I love.  I got them from HERE, but I have seen them in Walmart at times. 
Shaklee Get Clean -  Oh how I wish we had found Shaklee when Mia was born. But we were lucky enough to find them with Maise and I am so glad we did.  I can clean and disinfect toys, clothes, bedding and everything else baby related without worrying about harmful toxins.  Think about everything little ones put in their mouths as well as what they wear, sleep on, sit on, etc.  Their little bodies will absorb those chemicals. So I take the worry out of it and use Shaklee cleaning produts.  Plus, I can rest easy knowing that if they get into any of the cleaning products, they can't poison themselves.


And lastly, I think one of the biggest tips I give new mommies is about Target diapers.




Obviously, cloth diapers are the least expensive and much better for the environment than disposable, but if you choose to go the disposable diaper route, Target diapers are a must.  Not only do they outperform the name brand diapers, they are much more cost effective.  Even better than Luvs (which, in my opinion, has WAY too much fragrance in them which can't be good for sensitive bottoms).  A jumbo box of Huggies or Pampers diapers are about 20.00/box. The same size box of Target brand are 13.00.  So you do the math. 

And there you have it! My favorite things - Baby Edition. I could go on and on with lots of things we love, but these were the big stars.  I hope what I have shared today will help you or someone you love get through their baby's first year too.



Follow us on FACEBOOK! 






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...