Tuesday, June 4, 2013

When life throws you curveballs

Wow, has it really been since February that I last posted here?!  I apologize for such a long absence.  Sometimes, life just gets in the way.  Things have been nuts the last few months.  Since starting back to work full time, I have been struggling to find balance with life, work, and blogging.  I guess I chose to take a step back a bit and put the family first until I gained a little more control over my time. Then life threw me a curveball and I retreated even further.  But now I am back and so excited to begin writing for you all again. This is perfect timing too.  I need this!  I started this blog to share our journey to a healthy and happy life.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  Well, I guess this is a post about it all!! 

When we last talked, I was one month into my weight loss journey with the Shaklee 180 Turnaround program.  Things were going great!  I lost ten pounds, trained for and finished two 5K’s, and was feeling good.  Well, I thought I was feeling good.  In early March, I began to feel pretty bad.  I was extremely tired; I had terrible night sweats and hot flashes during the day; and, strangely, my body itched.  And itched, and itched, and itched.  Something was terribly wrong.  I assumed I was just starting to go through a very early menopause.  A trip to my doctor and a few blood tests later, it turned out that I had hyperthyroid and Graves’ disease.  Over this time, my eating and healthy lifestyle habits changed for the worse.  I had to stop Shaklee 180 altogether, because the shakes give you so much energy, coupled with hyperthyroid, it was too much energy.  That was hard for me.  I love the shakes and the program so much and I had mentally and physically made a huge commitment to get back into shape, only to be forced to stop.  The stress and disappointment began to build and I turned to food for comfort.  My usual stand-by.  Luckily, because of the hyperthyroid, I continued to lose weight.  Life in general was hectic.  We barely ate at home as a family and we were eating crap food on the run.  I felt as if my goal of a healthy and happy home was slipping away.  It was time to take control. 

Finally, in May, I was able to start medications to manage my disease.  I began to feel better, calmer, less hungry, and more in control.  I started back on the Shaklee 180 program and am doing great!  I now am on a daily regimen of vitamins and supplements to help get my body back into tip-top shape.  I began to exercise again and am working harder to plan meals and cook healthier for my family.   I will write more on my thyroid issues in future posts.  My current treatment is a temporary solution. There are serious decisions to make for a long-term solution and many facets that will contribute to that decision. 

The last few months had its challenges but we also enjoyed each other and had great fun.  Miss Mia turned 4 in March.  We celebrated with a Hello Kitty birthday party.  Maise finally started to walk in April, we enjoyed some wonderful family time over Easter, and celebrated the end of Mia's first year in preschool.  


With my health headed in the right direction again, I feel so much more in control of my life.  I am ready to continue this journey with you and re-kindle the blog again.  I have lots in store for you: DIY projects, family updates and more! Thank you for sticking with me! 



If you want to join me in this challenge, it's not too late! Contact me today! 



Follow my progress and other tidbits on


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...