This is one of my favorite times of the year. When the gardens start giving us all their bountiful goodness and we begin to have an overflow yummy veggies. This week, I decided to dedicate the blog to my favorite vegetable, zucchini. It is so versatile, it is great in baked goods, savory recipes, roasted, or even raw as a light snack dipped in dressing.
When zucchini is in season, I love to break out all my scrumptious zucchini recipes. One of my favorites is my Zucchini Chocolate Cake. It is so moist and delicious, it almost melts in your mouth.
This recipe has been in my family for many years. I am not sure where it originally came from but it has a permanent place in our family cookbook and I am sure it will be in yours too.
Zucchini Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini (skin on or off, I prefer off.)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in oil and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix together with a whisk or spoon. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in zucchini. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan. For you chocoholics, you can sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips to make it extra chocolatey. Or you can leave it plain which is our favorite.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until done (a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle of the cake).
Stay tuned for another fabulous zucchini recipe!

1 comment:
Have you tried making this by substituting 1/2 the flour with Shaklee's Instant Protein by chance? I have done this with muffin recipes and when making pancakes and waffles and it seems to work really well.
Post a Comment