When I start thinking about the Thanksgiving meal, I start to think about my favorite dishes. Everyone has their favorites. Mine include green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole (the kind with lots of brown sugar and pecans), and pumpkin pie. Especially pumpkin pie. In fact, I believe that a Thanksgiving meal isn't complete without at least one pumpkin pie.
I have had many pumpkin pies over the years at Thanksgiving dinners. I have had pumpkin pie cheesecake, pumpkin pie souffle, kahlua pumpkin pie...every variation under the sun. My favorite will always be just plain ole pumpkin pie. My grandmother made the best pumpkin pies. But after we stopped having Thanksgiving at her house, there was just never another pie that met my picky expectations. Store bought pies were the worst (except Costco), which had WAY too much spice in them. Then I married Gabe and went to his family's Thanksgiving dinner. His mom's pumpkin pies were the best I had tasted in years!! It was perfect. Not too sweet, not to spicy, just perfect.
So, today I am sharing the not-so-secret recipe for the perfect pumpkin pie. I say not-so-secret because it is literally the recipe on the back of the can of Libby's Pumpkin. No joke! Who knew? Now, I have tried other recipes from cans, but this one is THE one. Make several of them because they will go fast!
Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin (any brand will do)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie crust*
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix sugar and pumpkin pie spice together into a large bowl. Stir in beaten eggs, pumpkin and the sugar/spice mix, mix well. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Lower temp to 350 degrees and bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked (when knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
Cool for 2 hours.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream or plain.
*Crust: You can use store bought or homemade. I prefer making my own from Pioneer Woman's Perfect Pie Crust recipe. It is super easy and comes out perfect every time. Gee, I think we are using the word, 'perfect' a lot today!
If you serve this at your Thanksgiving meal, make sure to tell everyone it is homemade and the recipe is TOP SECRET!
What are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes?
Join the fun on Facebook!


No comments:
Post a Comment