If you are thinking what I was thinking when I first saw these little guys then you are probably saying, "what the heck are those?". Well, my friends, these are morels mushrooms. This is the source of much anticipation, excitement and wild behavior in the Spring.
When we moved to Missouri 8 years ago, I had never heard of a morel mushroom. We live on 15 beautiful acres, some of which are wooded. Every spring, the former owners (who are now great friends and neighbors) always told us to go into those woods and hunt for morels. I never really knew what they were talking about. Even my husband, who is a native of the Ozarks didn't know much about them. And besides, those woods are FULL of ticks and poison ivy. This spoiled city girl from Colorado doesn't step foot in the woods March-September. But every year, we would hear more and more and how much people loved them. In fact, they are so loved, they often sell online for a top dollar.
Last Spring, my friend came to me and asked if I would accompany her out to the woods to hunt for mushrooms. I was pretty apprehensive, but because I love her, I sucked it up and went with an excited Mia in tow. And there is where it started for me. Morel craziness. Who knew hunting for these ugly things would be so much stinkin' fun?!
So why all the fuss about the ugliest mushroom on the planet? I mean, they look terrible! Well, these little babies only come out for a short time in early spring and people say they are some of the best eating around.
Hunting for them is pretty simple. The best time to see them is after a good rain followed by a warm spell. All you need is a bucket, gloves, bug spray, and proper attire. You want to make sure you dress in long pants, and rain boots or hiking boots. You will be stepping in some thick foliage where there are lots of ticks and poison ivy so you want to make sure you are properly protected It is said they like to grow around dead or dying trees, but I have found them everywhere. You can see them popping up out of the ground like this.
Hunting for them is pretty simple. The best time to see them is after a good rain followed by a warm spell. All you need is a bucket, gloves, bug spray, and proper attire. You want to make sure you dress in long pants, and rain boots or hiking boots. You will be stepping in some thick foliage where there are lots of ticks and poison ivy so you want to make sure you are properly protected It is said they like to grow around dead or dying trees, but I have found them everywhere. You can see them popping up out of the ground like this.
After you have yelled out in excitement, pick the mushroom out of the ground from low on the stem. You can often find several together, so while you are crouched down, look around the area for more.
So fun!
Last year, we didn't find very many, but this year we hit the mother-load. In all, we found around 175 shrooms!
Last year, we didn't find very many, but this year we hit the mother-load. In all, we found around 175 shrooms!
Everyone was so excited!
So what do you do with them once you have them? From what I hear, frying them up is the best way. Here's how:
First, you need rinse your shrooms really well and cut them in half length-wise. Immediately into a big bowl filled with water and 2-3 tablespoons of salt. Soak them for at least 2 hours or overnight. This will kill the dirt and bugs that get into the little pits. And let me tell ya. There are a TON of little mites in them. YUK!!! Be prepared to be thoroughly grossed out. But the bugs don't stop the die-hards.
Once you are pretty comfortable with how clean they are, it is time to fry them. You can either fry in a deep fryer or pan fry them in vegetable oil or butter.
Here is a good basic recipe I found that is similar to how I have been told to make them:
![]() |
| photo courtesy of allrecipes.com |
Ingredients:
1 pound morel mushrooms
1/2 cup oil for frying
2 eggs
|
3/4 cup milk
1 (4 ounce) packet saltine crackers,
finely crushed
salt and black pepper to taste
|
Directions:
| 1. | Clean the mushrooms carefully with a damp paper towel or a soft mushroom brush. Cut large mushrooms in half. |
| 2. | Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating, beat the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Coat the mushrooms in the egg and milk mixture, then toss them in the cracker crumbs. Carefully place the coated mushrooms in the heated oil. The mushrooms will cook quickly. Cook the mushrooms until they are golden brown on the bottom, then flip them over to brown the other side. |
| 3. | When the mushrooms are evenly browned, remove them from the pan to drain on a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper to taste. |
To be honest, I have not mustered up the courage to eat them yet, but I am working on it. Baby steps. However, I have to say I am very grateful to my friend for giving me the nudge I needed out of my comfort zone. Mushroom hunting is super fun and a wonderful outdoor family activity! So, if there are morels mushrooms in your area, I highly recommend you give it a try!
Are you a morel lover too? What is your favorite way to eat them?
Get new posts sent directly to your email!








No comments:
Post a Comment